Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

I'm new but biting' at the bit!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I'm new but biting' at the bit!

Post by LoriSamson on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:03 pm

I've been painting faces as a hobby for years and volunteered anywhere I could. I did a fall festival in South Dallas one year that had nearly 10 thousand attend. That was when it first hit me that I could possibly charge one day for what I was giving away.
Now, after volunteering at a church outreach for the last year (every Sunday), I'm ready to start making money at this hobby of mine. I can paint ok (not Lisa Joy Young)... not real fast yet (butterflies 3-4 min but full face I still take 5 plus minutes). I've recently ordered TAG paints (after reading all 26 pages of the DFX thread) so, now I'm starring at the walls and questioning if I can make any money at this.
I'm originally from the Dallas area and now live in Flagstaff, AZ with no equity in the community or family to jump start me. Any suggestions to where to start? I thought of just volunteering at the local gymnastics class (where parents are already willing to spend $ on their kids) and pass out a lot of cards or flyers after I've painted some faces.

BTW- that's my daughter in the picture. She's a lot prettier than I am in face paint!
LoriSamson

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2012-01-04

http://www.faceartcreations.vpweb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm new but biting' at the bit!

Post by Janb on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:40 am

Welcome to the forum! I think you volunteering at the gym is a good idea, also I've thought about when I start face painting ...there are alot of party supply stores...and handing out business cards there or ask if they have a bulletin board to put a flyer on. Also childcare places would be good to ask about leaving business cards for the parents. Skating rinks, advertise on Craig's List. I guess I could go on and on...but others may have better ideas! BTW your daughter is beautiful Exclamation

Last edited by Janb on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more text)
Janb

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMarie727 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:15 am

Welcome to the forum! I think you should give yourself more credit! If you have been painting and volunteering for years i dont think you will have any problem charging for your services! Just keep practicing and everythign jsut as usual and just start to market yourself as a paid facepainter, go onto craigslist or there are a few other places you could go online and adverrtise yourself. I think you will do jsut fine! And all us here at the forum will gladley help you along the way! there are so many wonderful people here, they have helped me sooo much i can deff say i wouldnt be where i am today if it wasnt for all of these wonderful ppl!

Good luck with everything! Happy Painting!flower
AshleyMarie727

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by len sherrard on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:04 pm

Welcome!
len sherrard

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-12-29

http://www.ellensburgfaceart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoriSamson on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:38 pm

How do you actually take the money? Do you have a cash box of some type? Do we have to charge tax? How do you keep an eye on the money box while your busy painting faces? Arggg... I have soooo many questions!

Hi Janb, I see you're from San Antonio! Wow! Do I miss Tex-Mex food! The food here in AZ is bland! The first trip back to Texas I think I will create a eat route! I even miss Poncho's Mexican Buffet! They put oregano in the salsas here! Yeck! And no chili con carne on the enchaladas! (havin' a little food envy moment Sad )
LoriSamson

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:45 pm

LOL! I'm from Arkansas and have been to South Dakota and Arizona like 3 times on mission trips. The food wasn't anything like it is in the South. Twice I did the cooking for the trip and folks from the area were asking for my leftovers! They were pretty impressed with Southern cooking. BTW, welcome to the forum.
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by LoriSamson on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:46 pm

Martha, We have done missionary work for the last 28 years and we feel like we're on the mission field here! I've had food poisoning 3 times since we moved here as church planters. I've NEVER gotten food poisoning in Mexico (EVER) on any of our mission trips! Even in the remotest villiages where there was meat hanging out in the open, that we ate, and never got sick. My last bout of food poisoning about killed me. Embarassed
LoriSamson

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Know where you are coming from! Food in Brazil was much tastier than some I ate out west. Sorry all you folks that are native to the area but I've eaten the best prime rib of my life in Colorado, had some awesome food in Seattle but South Dakota and Arizona had nada! And yep, it's def a mission field. Last time I invited someone to church out there they said they'd come if we had free beer (and they weren't teasing). It's SO much different here in the Bible belt. We detoured by Sturgis just cause, stopped to eat, told the waitress we didn't drink and could we just have sweet tea. She looked at us like we were innocent lambs and took such good care of us! lol!
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top