Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Approaching a restaurant

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Approaching a restaurant

Post by Pinky1249 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi all: I've never done any FP or glitter Tats for a restaurant before, but we have a local Irish pub/restaurant that has a big St. Patty's party every year. And it's cool that it falls on a Saturday night this year....I was wondering if you all could give me advice on how to approach the owner. Should I suggest they pay me an hourly rate, or should I just charge per face/tattoo? My husband said I should suggest a split with the owner of the restaurant, but why would I do that? Seems that I should just be able to keep all the $$ since I'm performing a service for her business. What do you think? thanks!! Robin
Pinky1249

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Approaching a restaurant

Post by Mug Shots on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:22 pm

I've been looking at doing this also, so I am anxious to see the answers. My friend paints here in town at restaurants, and he asks for $75 + a $25 gift certificate to the restaurant for 2 hours, and keeps the tips. He has a regular gig, and uses the GC for payment to other people, Christmas gifts, etc.
Mug Shots

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2011-07-05

http://mugshotsfacepainting.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Airyfairy on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:06 pm

I took a "Painting in clubs and bars" class last week at the CT convention. What she did was put up a Suggested Tips $5 (unless you think I'm better than that) sign. And as you are offering a service to her bar that will enhance your party, you are right in that you should not need to give her any money. Best bet is to go in betwen 2-4 during a weekday to try and speak to the owner personally, make sure to play up the fact that facepainting= happy customers, happy customers= more money for the bar/resteraunt. Good Luck!
Airyfairy

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2011-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinky1249 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:34 am

Hi! I was at the convention too...but didn't take that particular class. Thanks for the tips (pun intended)! Robin
Pinky1249

Back to top Go down

Post by Airyfairy on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:20 pm

Oh yeah I rememebr you Smile
Airyfairy

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2011-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:18 pm

I work at a local club Mardi Gras and St Pats pretty much every year. They hire me, pay my regular hourly rate to paint the staff, and then let me stay if I want to to paint the customers for whatever I want to charge. I keep it all. It is a great gig - first time I made almost three mortgage patments in abour 5 hours (but, that was with the fine for F-bombs in my presence of $20 each)

They approached me initially, and other clubs have called me too, but for those nights I can only take one booking. I got the initial calls due to my car wrap (parked near the club!)

Approach the manager as a regular gig - don't offer them a take or percentage. Have some "grown up" and/or sexy designs to show (the girls at clubs show a lot of skin... just sayin'). If you can manage to also show the "girls" the painting too while you are there it will help you pitch. If the staff are painted the customers are more receptive, particularly after a few drinks.

Be prepared for late nights. The big demand builds up around midnight - people loosen up after a few drinks then want to get painted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinky1249 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:44 am

Wow, Thanks Shannon! I'm not a night person, LOL, but I figure since St. Pattys is a Saturday, I can take a nice nap that afternoon to let me pull thru. Smile
Pinky1249

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top