Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

How to seal the deal? To discount or not?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to seal the deal? To discount or not?

Post by MichelleLA on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:15 pm

A couple of months ago a mom at my son's school approached me about face painting at her kids birthday party -- and since she has a kid in each of the two Kindergarten classes, there will be at least 40 kids attending so she understood that it would make sense to have 2 painters for 2 hours.

I sent her a quote 3 weeks ago, which included a small discount, giving her the information needed to go ahead and book the party. I saw her this past weekend and asked her if she had received my email and she indicated that she had been so busy that she must have missed it so I was going to resend it but in the mean time, received the following email from her:

Hi Michelle,
>
> I found your email! I am still trying to figure out what we are doing, the two dates I have in mind are March 18th or March 24th. I will know by the end of this week what the plans will be.
> Thanks,

The thing is, that I really want to paint at this party -- It is very close to my house and through this party I would reach the families of most of the new Kindergarten kids (and many older kids) at our school -- so it would be a fantastic opportunity to promote myself to my target demographic. Of course I'm wondering if she has been delaying her response due to $$ concerns or because she is really busy ...

I was thinking of sending the following reply (below) -- but I'm wondering if I'm "jumping the gun" at offering an additional discount from fear of loosing the gig. I have a bit of wiggle room but is it premature to offer another break? I'm worried about getting an email back that they have decided to forgo having a face painter and then I would completely miss out on the opportunity...

Thanks for getting back to me Smile As of now I'm still available on those dates and I'd be delighted to share the joy of face art with your children and their friends. (thank you for the verbiage Melody:))

The sooner you select your date, the sooner I'll be able secure the services of a second artist to work with me. Since I would love to be a part of your celebration, while I cannot ask the second artist to discount their rate, if it would make the difference between having us at your party or not, I may be able to cut my rate a bit further if necessary. Just let me know if this is an issue.

Feedback on the situation and the wording of my response would be much appreciated...
MichelleLA

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Re: How to seal the deal? To discount or not?

Post by Perry Noia on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:26 pm

I wouldn't... there are always other opportunities.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks for responding Perry --

Not sure if this makes a difference but perhaps I should have mentioned that my rates are on the higher end at the moment and even if I discounted the rate a bit more, I'd still be charging around $80/hour... so it's not like I'd be totally giving away my services.

In any case, thanks again -- I emailed back without offering an additional discount. Crossing my fingers now and hoping it will work out!
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by Taradoodles on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:21 am

Ungh, I the worlds worst at this! no input from me. I end up doing bad things for business because I just wanna paint. I try to charge but then I do nothing but attend play dates and hear crickets in the FP department. So I either drop way below or volunteer. -reddens- Im just impatient I guess. I never seem to have more opportunities come up with me. Its why I often think Im not good enough, but I like to believe it. I even had a group ask me to teach a few basic things an hour away! so Im really hoping to improve my chances by learning at kidvention or seeing to get some rules to set me straight. Oi KUDOS to you for holding tight though! more balls than me. good luck!
Taradoodles

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2011-04-03

http://www.taradoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:23 am

I never discount anything. They may say they are going to look for cheaper or say that is too much... but they always book. Bartering cheapens your services, I think.
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Taradoodles on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:30 am

around here i feel that people would choose not to have a face painter then. =0( Ive lost so many when I tried sticking to it. now i come off as wishy washy and that is horrible to. so stick to it if you can- kudos and claps!
Taradoodles

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2011-04-03

http://www.taradoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:36 am

the point is not how much you are charging... it doesn't matter where the final price ends up, it's the fact that your price sounds like you pulled it out of thin air if you can slash it so freely.
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:52 am

I would never OFFER a discount. If they ASK or one, you can decide weather or not ther is a "reason" to give one (Well, because you are around the block- because you have AARP- because your house is painted yellow- because you can pay the deposit in cash- I can offer you X discount this time.) To OFFER a discount implies several things- 1) It is arbitrary, as Perry said 2) you are desperate 3) that price is THE only reason they want you. As opposed to because YOU are talented and wonderful.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:44 am

Thank you Perry, Leapinglizards and all who wrote back. I'm going to have to rethink my promotional strategy now...

It always seems like everyone is looking for the best deal and discounts so I have been promoting my services to mom's groups that I'm involved with and have been offering a small discount. Also when I advertise -- I say if you mention "xyz" you get a $20 or 10% off discount...

On the other hand, last week I got an email from the second birthday clients that I had ever painted for, less than a year ago wanting to book me again for April this year and they didn't even seem to blink that my rates are much higher (and I'm pretty sure I didn't tell them what newbie I was last year Very Happy)
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:30 pm

See, when you do "Mention XYZ and get 10% off," that is an example of a reason. Same as when walmart has a labor day sale.... Labor day is the reason- the FACT is that they can do than any time they want, but in sales it is a motivator and call to urgency- In fact, sales in general are a reason.... and then end.

Another reason would be- If you sign the contract and pay the deposit before such and such a date,

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:10 am

It's one thing to have a promotional deal like that, it's completely another to be talking to someone about booking and say, "well I can lower the price more if you want" ... It makes you sound wishy-washy to be dropping the price just because someone asks you to.

I have had people call me and ask me to lower the price because "you'll book parties with my whole ethnic community!" or some other such nonsense. And will they also haggle with me about painting for a two hour party with 70 children that starts at 8 pm when they are already miserable and will be washing it off 5 minutes later anyway?? Wow, where do I sign up?? ... sorry, off topic rant about hagglers there...

The point is, your price needs to MEAN something. You need to stand your ground the majority of the time and only discount on rare occasions. If there is always a sale going on, then nobody will ever pay full price.
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:08 pm

I put out a few mailers early in January, where I offered a 25% discount on the third hour, or 50% on the fourth hour, if they booked in January or February. It was a very slow time, and I wanted to get some balls rolling. No one ever took me up on it. HMM... scratch
Meanwhile, I have been getting calls again. FINALLY! But none of them are mentioning the discount, (criterion for getting the discount) so they are paying my full rate. Very Happy
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:52 pm

it's amazing to me how many gift certificates I give to charity auctions for $50 off and I've only ever redeemed one or two of them... and yet random people with no reason for me to give them a discount ask for it left and right. It's not that I'm opposed to giving a discount now and then for a good reason (like improving a slow period), but you train your customers and if you start giving a discount to anyone that asks, the next person will be sure to tell you, "but you gave HER a discount!"
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:50 am

There are only two reasons I'll give a discount. First, I'll do it for non-profits. Even then, the discount is not very much at all, but they like knowing that they're getting a better deal than Jane Doe down the street. I'll also give a slight hourly discount if I'm going to be painting somewhere for several hours. If a festival wants me there all day, it makes sense to offer them that incentive of a small discount in their hourly rate, so that they will ask me to be there longer.

I did try the "turn in this card" and get 10% off your next booking thing, but no one redeemed the cards. It was a waste of time and paper, IMO.
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top