Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Proface practice Head disappointment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Proface practice Head disappointment

Post by Creations on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Just received my proface head and skin...

Well ............. the head is not made out of the same material as the pactice skin, its very smooth. I tried just a simple butterfly to test it out and my brush was sliding all over the surface. The practice skin was much better for line work. Any thoughts?? I am very frustrated as I have been waiting a while to purchase this and now dissappointed, it cost me $130 to feel like this so please if anyone had any thoughts please post them. Oh btw cleaning was very easy, and no staining at all. I have seen people practice on these and there designs are great - linework etc.. are they using a different version?
Creations

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://creationsfaba.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Proface practice Head disappointment

Post by Creations on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Was I meant to buy a skin to put over the head? presuming not.. but the pad and the head feel completely different.. aghh'
Creations

Back to top Go down

Post by Manja on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm not thrilled with mine either. I have the skin and the pad also. They are all different textures/finishes. The line work and sponging are all different... none are anything like working on skin. Sad

I also hate, hate, hate how hard it is to clean them. To rid them of stains, I mean. Magic Erasers... bah, humbug! I've purchased every kind made and none of them work to completely clean my head/skin/pad. I've tried the ReDuRan and was left wondering how it could possibly have worked so well for other people and not worked at all for me?

What I found really works on the head is to wipe the paint off with a wet wipe, towel dry, and wipe stains away with 100% acetone. NOT on the pad though! On that, I found the acetone is not a good idea. I use 70% alcohol for that.

Anyway - it takes a lot of doing and a lot of fumes. Yucko.

The upside is that I have something that resembles a face to test out new designs and such. So for conceptual purposes, it comes in very handy. Smile

I was hoping it would serve as a good steady and reliable model for posting designs on my board as I change them out for various gigs or update my designs, but the pictures of the mannequin head are kind of creepy to look at, IMO. So, they just go into my inspiration folder for my own reference. And that is worth having.

Manja

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2011-06-25

http://www.shiningfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Creations on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:09 pm

My both clean up perfectly - wash with water, then magic eraser and Isocol - 64% rubbing alcohol, less than a minute to clean and no staining.

Creations

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Head materials vary. No one has noted what type / braind of head they have. I'll venture to guess that if you say you have a head and pad ypu perhaps bought these as a set sold by "the" face painting superstore. That set is not a ProKnows head. Nor is the head that store shows listed as a Mehron head a Mehron Practice Head. Rather those are beauty school knock offs. Good head but slicker material and yes harder to clean.

All heads can be tricky to clean but the better quality heads do clean better. I have Mehron Head 7 year old and it is perhaps not perfect;y new looking but it is not stained, and cleans up very well. I clean it with baby wipes, and when it needs more I use ReDuran. Leave it on a few mins and if you have stubborn stains the magic eraser type sponge helps. But some head just stain. I have started using A ProKnows head and it cleans up great. I clean it the same way. I have a cheap head that was given to me, one of those beauty school knock-offs and she stains. She has green on her that is never coming off.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Creations on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:08 pm

My head is - proknow head set and the pad is proknows as well. Both are named proface.
Creations

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:48 am

It works for me really nice spraying hair spray on the face let it dry and then paint, I think it seals the porosity on the skin making it nice to paint and then really easy to clean.
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonya on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:13 am

Sealing with hairspray first, I'm going to have to try that. Mine stained so badly I won't use certain colors when I practice.
Sonya

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:00 am

In re to hair spray ProKnows recommends not curing the ProFace head this way due to making the face gummy. They recommend cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and a magic type eraser. In fact these faces come packed with a magic type eraser.
Sweet Loretta

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Wouldn't the hairspray transfer back into your paints somehow?

Loretta, how does the Brand Name (ProFace/ProKnows?) head compare when using it compared to skin or other practice heads? Do you notice a difference? Is it any better than the slippery materials, the way that Kylie/Creations was describing (comparing her skin pad vs the head)?
1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Manja on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Creations wrote:My both clean up perfectly - wash with water, then magic eraser and Isocol - 64% rubbing alcohol, less than a minute to clean and no staining.

I'm jealous!
Manja

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2011-06-25

http://www.shiningfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Well skin is skin and it moves, so no practice pad or head can compare.

Heads and pads do serve a purpose and do vary in their materials and thus how they react to your paints and brushes. And when people speak of their heads remember Sally may use Snazaoo and Betty uses TAG and Mary uses Paradise. One may live in a humid area one in dry, it's gonna vary on how these heads react.

I like the ProFace but I had two sit untouched for a year and a half. Untouched because my Mehron head works great too. I have used the ProFace about 2 months now. And I like it, but no matter every head will begin to acquire some residue and age. I still use too my Mehron.

The Proface is softer to the touch, more rubbery to the feel as it is more like latex. The Mehron head is harder, but still has a soft rubber feel, but less so. This is due in part to the ProFace being a soft center and the Mehron more of a blown mold, as well as the materials covering the face.

Salon heads that come (originally) with hair seem like a cross between the two but do not paint nearly as well. And do tend to stain.

I define staining as something that stays and residue as something that stays but eventually can be removed.

I let me my Mehron head now 7 yrs old sit several time in Wolfe FX paint. The last time she sat for about year+ in Wolfe (original 080) Purple. I cleaned her last month and while it took a few applications and elbow she cleaned up great with ReDuRan and a magic type eraser. She shows very slight discoloring on the cheekbones and nose tip. Again now she is seven yrs old and has have several new painters use her. So far my ProFace is still perfectly clean - but I used it only a few times. I use the Salon head once and cannot get the swirls to fully remove, but did reduce them by about 70% by cleaning as mentioned.

The superstore sells a Salon makeup head and slip on face they call P2. I have not used this head but have one ordered to see how it compares. I have used those practice pads and they are slightly slicker than the ProFace pad which again tends to have more rubber or latex content. Those beauty school pads are harder to clean than ProFace, both will clean nicely, but too we have some for our staff and my classes that clean better that the next one.
So again they may show some residue even slight staining, but I consider them very clean. I have a ProFace pad but haven';t a clue right now where it is........ Too I have used thin skins and they can get some residue build up but will clean decently. These like salon head can vary by manufacturer. I have used some small one that did not clean up as well as large ones, which cleaned off perfectly.

I think the bottom like is buy a decent quality if you can afford. Like many thing the top dollar item may or may not be best, but usually the bottom dollar item is on the bottom for a reason.

A practice head is not an investment, it will depreciate the moment you paint on it. It only translates as an investment in skill building. I do tell my new painters to learn with them for mote learning. I use mine to lay out new designs.

No matter what brand your brush is gonna slide a bit to a bit more as practice heads and pads will not give like skin.
Sweet Loretta

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusrising on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:45 am

Sweet Loretta , thank you for the great response, I wonder if you could clarify something for me and perhaps for the rest just beginning their path with face painting and practice heads. I wanted the Silly Heather video
She goes over the different type of heads and called the best the "P2" and "ProFace" interchangeably. People keep on mentioning the Mehron head here like it was the same as the ProFace but I understood they are two different brands, am I incorrect? Also is the ProKnows a different one? I noticed you recommended the Mehron. Did you get it straight from their site , as I noticed a drastic change in pricing for example between amazon and them and as you read above Kylie paid $130 for hers while I have seen them advertised at $30 or $50 concerned about level of quality if order it from another source since I am shipping it into Canada as I can only find cosmetology heads in my city at beauty supply stores. Could you use the ProFace skin replacement on your Mehron face to preserve the face from staining when using darker colours or it wont fit the size? Unsure how pads or Boards are helpful as a beginner painter versus canvass. I am excited to hear about practice heads as was considering attempting casting instead to practice. I also agree that paint type will make difference, I did some bodypainting modelling while a bit younger and snazaroo was recommended for washing out and particularly when working with kids as skin sensitive so maybe it is not the head but the paint type.

lotusrising

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:40 pm

Do note this thread is years old. In this time Mehron has changed their practice head. They used to have a male and female soft covered head. Now the head is more male than female and it is hard. Ok but I would recommend another type.

And I am not sure about advertising for SF on this forum run by FPFS. Several of us here own stores or sell products but we do not advertise that here out of respect. Perhaps too your question could be directed to SF since SH is advertising ProKnows, a practice head brand only SF can sell. The have exclusive rights on that product. FPFS sells some brands as do I, and many others. So shopping around can make sense.

The ProKnows Practice heads were / are? great. Looks like what SF is selling might be a knock-off and no longer the original ProKnows. The practice heads I see in the vid can be gotten from a few vendors. SF has one for $50 - this head can be purchased for $25 to $35 USD with an extra mask and with free or plus shipping costs. It can be purchased here at FPFS.

The Practice Head with Mask here at the FPFShop at $30 plus $6 shipping is a standard deal. That's what you are going to pay most places. It's around what I charge for heads. For international sales you may look around, especially in Canada to lower the shipping rates.
Sweet Loretta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top