Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Is it better to dress up?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is it better to dress up?

Post by bee on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 pm

jocolor Hi. What do you think, do you get a better result if you dress up as a fairy or something when you're at a face painting gig? santa

bee

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2012-01-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it better to dress up?

Post by gymhk74 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:30 am

Depends what you mean by a better result Wink

If you mean in the $ department, I don't think it makes that much difference (just my opinion as I am so NOT a fairy or a clown LOL) I'm probably at the higher end of the $ per hour range for Brissy, and I'm just me Smile I do wear an embroidered shirt and black pants though Wink

If you mean in the entertainment perspective, then probably - what little girl wouldn't want a real fairy at her party Wink

gymhk74

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-07-07

http://www.beths-creations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:30 am

If you charge extra for dressing in character then, of course, YOUR results will be better as you charged more.

There are a lot of people wanting Princesses, Fairys and Clowns... but they also was more than JUST face painting too I find. And that should cost more than just having to dress up to face paint,,., IMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:13 am

yeah, it's not about whether you're wearing a costume... it's about what other services you offer along with that character. If your answer to "what do you do?" is still just face painting, it's not going to make much difference.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:35 am

I don't think I'd ever don a costume for a gig. I'm already rather shy, and I think I'd just feel silly. Plus I like just being able to throw on my "Face Painter" t-shirt, grab my supplies and hit the road! I don't like a lot of prep work... I have better things to do on the weekends. Razz
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:06 am

I think it also depends on the venue. If you are doing face painting at a ren fair, I would EXPECT you to look and dress like the others who are there....

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bee on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks to you all!. Since I am only face painting i think I'll just stick to my bright coloured tops and a funky ribbon in my hair, just to hold the kids interest and should i be so bold as to venture into the world of clowns and balloons then i shall reassess the dress situation. afro

bee

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2012-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Just saw this thread. I offer clowning for an extra fee, but it's just me being in character while I'm face painting. Now, I have a Pricilla Mooseburger costume so it's really nice. Parents are over the moon for it and tell me it's completely worth it. I'm planning on adding a show as another option other then face painting.

Quality is everything. If you buy something cheap don't expect people to pay for it. There are really nice costumes out there for far less then I paid. clown If you buy a princess outfit, get a really nice professional one not a $25 one Wink
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:30 pm

I wear the feather poofs in my hair that I get from Hobby Lobby. Then I add other things if the occasion calls for it. I usually wear a red apron with pockets that I ironed on crystal letters that spell out Miss Ronnie.

In the summer I wear whatever silly sun hat I decide on. My floppy sun hats are adorned with goofy crazy-lady stuff like big flowers on one, colorful curly ribbon bunches on another and birds on another. I'm not a clown, (although I've been accused of acting like one all my life), I just like to wear fun colorful things that let kids know I'm not a stuffy old maid.

I had shamrock head boppers on for St. Patty's but they didn't fit in the photo.... plus earrings and pin that flashed... I'll never grow up.
jocolor geek
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:13 pm

I have NEVER and will never wear a costume. I am not an actress. I am not a fairy, a clown, a princess or any of those things. I could never pull off a fat, old princess anyway. I am a face painter. I wear bright accessories, much like Miss Ronnie, that add interest, but NEVER a costume. For all you costumers, more power to ya... but I could never do it.
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bemusedart on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:15 pm

I also would think that if you had 2-3 different gigs in one day that it would make it difficult to change, unless you specialize in princess parties. Although I could see myself accessorizing to fit the theme a bit. In college I would do that when I waited tables at a bar and grill. I had earings for every holiday.
A pirate hat for a pirate party, a flower halo for a princess or fairy theme, mardi gras beads for a mardi gras party. Of course I am also thinking of convincing a friend to help me make aprons to fit themes and holidays. Something with pockets that I can have business cards on hand as well as stuff money in for ppf events.
I might dress up for a science fiction convention, just because the steam punk look is actually flattering for most folks and I just like it. I need some gear stencils though to pull that off.
bemusedart

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-03-13

http://www.bemusedart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FaceMyPaint on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:52 pm

I want to design some aprons, and be able to customize them a bit. Does anyone have a referral to someone in the US that could make these for me?

Amy
FabFacesUT.com
FaceMyPaint

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://www.FaceMyPaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:24 pm

bemusedart wrote:
I might dress up for a science fiction convention

MIGHT??!

alien

My brother and I used to ride the train into Vancouver to go to Star Trek conventions... in full Klingon. We either scared people OFF the train or ended up posing for photos! lol!

Last edited by Shannon Fennell on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by shadnee on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:40 pm

FabFaces by Amy Bee wrote:I want to design some aprons, and be able to customize them a bit. Does anyone have a referral to someone in the US that could make these for me?

Amy
FabFacesUT.com

My aunt and I have a side business in making and selling "boutique" items. I'm sure we culd get something together for you apron-wise. Smile
facebook.com/shshourlittlesecret
shadnee

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-03-27

http://facebook.com/facepaintfun

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:07 pm

LOL @ Shannon! Would love to see a pic of that!
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:06 pm

there are also some aprons on the silly farm website
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peaches on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:31 pm

I am very nervous about getting paint on my clown costume.I plan to sit when I paint. help!
Peaches

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:40 pm

So wear an apron/put a towel in your lap/be careful...

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:21 pm

truthfully, you're more likely to get paint on you when they come over and hug you and smash their painted face into you than getting it on you while you are painting.... clown costumes need to be extremely washable. You will have hugs from kids with paint, ketchup, mud, cotton candy... I'm constantly kneeling on the ground when kids are little and might be shy or nervous.
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:58 am

My costume cleans up pretty easy. I haven't had any major moment of dirt or paint. I had a small splatter the last gig, but I just took a wipey to the spot and it wiped off fine.

My paint trick is something I do all the time. I use a FatMax and a tall chair. When I load my brush, I place the brush over the back of my hand then to the child's face. I always test the paint on the back of my hand for consistancy, anyway. This helps me from dripping paint all over my dress when I'm transferring the loaded paint brush from the FatMax to the face.
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top